I can’t let myself feel bad because if I feel bad, then I feel everything. And we’ve all seen how well I handle that.
Things to remember:
- Caroline has a history of deep insecurity and not being enough and being left out (behind). Elena knows this (Cause Caroline had to tell her since she was too dismissive of Caroline to actually SEE her and take her emotions seriously…and she still didn’t btw)
- Caroline’s father left her, willingly TWICE - the first time when her parents divorced, the second time when he chose to die rather than become aforementioned blood-sucking monster. Elena knows this.
- Caroline’s father TORTURED her because she was a blood-sucking monster. Elena knows this.
- Caroline had to suffer her mom’s disgust TWICE at her being a blood-sucking monster. Her mom trying to kill her even because of what she was. Elena knows this.
- For a long time, Caroline did not have a good relationship with her mother. It meant a lot to her when she finally came around. “Thanks for believing in me.” Who knows if Elena’s even noticed. It’s Caroline.
- Elena has recently admitted to finding Caroline’s control-freak ways annoying (at the very least “when they were younger”) and continues to be blind to the ways in which Caroline is ACTUALLY quite valuable in a crisis and dismissive of her and her talent, reducing it to organizing parties… SO the THINGS SHE SAYS ABOVE WHEN HER HUMANITY WAS OFF ARE BASED ON HER ACTUAL BELIEFS
And SO, not only does Elena refuse to apologize for that one comment* once her humanity is back on, she shows no remorse and makes it about how APOLOGIZING will affect HER. Because as she’s said before, SHE has it so hard and “Caroline wouldn’t understand how hard it is.” Best part: She tells this to Caroline DISMISSIVELY as if Caroline is an annoying fly that’s buzzing around her head. As if Caroline is BOTHERING HER. As if it is not even WORTH discussing. Cause…Caroline.
And what do you know, Caroline SWALLOWS it, and Elena faces no consequences whatsoever for ANYTHING she did or said to her the whole season.
Carolena: #brotp: she’ll get over it
*It’s not like she asked her to apologize for slutshaming her for unknowingly getting involved with someone who would abuse her or for casting doubt on whether it really was something in Caroline that caused it (“He’s always been good to me” or som’n). But let’s not even go there.
#I did this part of the convo#because I thought playing#on her mom insecurities#as well as her own#was the lower blow
^^^^ Well that was perfect because I wrote all that before even seeing these tags, and that’s EXACTLY what I honed in on.
ETA: And the fact that she added both the inhuman AND human parts of her together (repulsive, blood-sucking, CONTROL-FREAK monster) is particularly evil, making sure she covers all bases of Caroline’s insecurity…like is it just because she’s a vampire or is it really just HER that’s repulsive…that makes people want to leave or her to go away. Which part’s the monster?
"I’m innappropriate. And I always say the wrong thing…"
Ugh let me stop. But no, simply easing Caroline’s mind that she didn’t mean what she said, reinforcing for her “friend” that those deep-seated fears are NOT true, would be JUST.TOO.MUCH.
Cause (it’s all about) Elena.